Learn what waxing hair removal is, how waxing is done, and the pros and cons of waxing in comparison to shaving and the use of depilatory creams.
On this page
What is waxing?
Waxing is the removal of unwanted body hair from its follicle using wax; beeswax, sugar wax, etc.
Almost any area of the body can be waxed including eyebrows, face, legs, arms, abdomen, back, and the pubic area.
Sugar waxing is the removal of body hair with sugar wax; a paste made with sugar, lemon, and water.
It is one of the most cost-effective and easiest methods for removing unwanted hair. It is fast and hygienic. In the next section, I will describe the steps in the sugar waxing process.
Steps in waxing hair removal
- Sanitizing; disinfect and remove dirt with a cotton swab soaked in spirit.
- Powdering; sprinkle talcum powder to absorb excess moisture and help the wax adhere better.
- Wax application; thinly apply soft warm wax to the body hair using a spatula.
- Strip application; apply a paper strip to the hair and press firmly to let it adhere to the wax and the wax to the skin.
- Hair removal; quickly rip the strip against the direction of hair growth to remove the hair from the follicle. To minimize pain, especially during Brazilian waxing, we stretch the skin in the direction against the hair growth.
- Clean the area; remove the remaining powder and wax not removed with the strip.
- Sooth the area; apply a soothing and moisturizing product. I usually use coconut oil.
In this video, I am using sugar paste to wax the underarms but the process is very similar for all body parts.
Common alternatives to waxing hair removal
Other common methods for removing unwanted hair are shaving and the use of creams.
Shaving creams use strong chemical ingredients to weaken the hair structure to the extent that they can be wiped away. Shaving trims the hair with a razor or electric shavers.
Pros & cons of waxing vs. shaving cream/razor
|Hair removed from the follicle along with dead skin resulting in smoother skin (+)||Hair is removed from the surface and grows back in a few days (-)|
|Weaker, thinner, and softer hair regrowth (+)||Thicker hair regrowth (-)|
|Less ingrown hair (+)||More chance of ingrown hair (-)|
|Expensive (-)||Cheaper (+)|
|Painful (at first) (-)||Less to no pain (+)|
|No irritation, no cuts (+)||More irritation, and itchiness (-)|
|Suitable for all body parts (+)||Creams cannot be used near the eyes, nose, or ear (-)|
|No odour (+)||Creams have a strong unpleasant odour (-)|
Which method do you use to keep away unwanted hair? How has your experience been? Would you like to try or switch to waxing? Tap this link to schedule your home appointment with us.
Last Updated on December 2, 2019