What is waxing?
Definitely one of the most interesting and easiest method for removing unwanted hair. It is speedy and hygienic.
Soft warm wax is applied thinly to the body hair. A paper strip is then applied and pressed firmly adhering to the wax, and the wax to the skin. The strip is then quickly ripped against the direction of hair growth. This removes the hair from the follicle.
Types of waxing
Almost any area of the body can be waxed including eyebrows, face, legs, arms, abdomen, back and the pubic area. Following are the types of waxing that Viv’s in-Houz Spa offers:
- Facial waxing – This covers waxing the eyebrows, upper lip, the chin, side-buns. A full-face waxing can include the nostrils, ears, cheeks and even forehead.
- Arm/underarm waxing – Covers the full arm from the shoulder to the hand or just the armpits.
- Leg waxing – Covers the whole leg from the hip to the feet.
- Bikini line waxing – Wax along the panty line to prevent any hair from ‘peeking out’ when wearing a bikini.
- Brazilian waxing – Wax the whole pubic area.
- Full body waxing
Shaving vs Cream/Waxing
Other common methods for removing unwanted hair are shaving and the use of creams. Shaving creams use strong chemical ingredients to weaken the hair structure to the extent that it can be wiped away. Shaving trims the hair with a razor or electric shavers.
Below is a list of the pros and cons of waxing compared to shaving or the use of creams.
|Hair removed from the follicle along with dead skin resulting in a smoother skin (+)||Hair removed from the surface and grows back in a few days (-)|
|Weaker, thinner and softer hair regrowth (+)||Thicker hair regrowth (-)|
|Less ingrown hair (+)||More chance of ingrown hair (-)|
|Expensive (-)||Cheaper (+)|
|Painful (at first) (-)||Less to no pain (+)|
|No irritation, no cuts (+)||More irritation, and itchiness (-)|
|Suitable for all body parts (+)||Creams cannot be used near eyes, nose or ear (-)|
|No odour (+)||Creams have a strong unpleasant odour (-)|
That’s it for now. Up next will be: tips to make waxing less painful and the best days to get waxed. Got any questions/feedback for me? I would love to hear about it. Just log in and leave a comment.